Bookmark and Share

Sunday, May 8, 2011

“Normal” Blood Sugar Levels May Still Mean You Have Prediabetes

FPG between 91 and 99 mg/dl is a strong independent predictor of type 2 diabetes, claims new study
Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease in which the body no longer responds appropriately to the hormone insulin, which helps ferry sugar from the blood into our cells after a meal. When fasting blood sugar levels reach 126 mg/dl or more, doctors will diagnose diabetes.
Prediabetes means that your blood sugar level is higher than normal, but it's not yet increased enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Still, without intervention, prediabetes is likely to become type 2 diabetes in 10 years or less. (Scroll to end for Prediabetes FAQs)

Traditionally, blood sugar levels below 100 mg/dl have been considered “safe”, whereas levels between 100 and 126 signal a “higher risk” of diabetes (prediabetes). But according to the new study by Dr. Paolo Brambilla and colleagues at the University Milano Bicocca in Italy, the currently accepted "normal" blood sugar range might be too wide.

“FPG (Fasting Plasma Glucose) between 91 and 99 mg/dl is a strong independent predictor of type 2 diabetes and should be used to identify people to be further investigated and aided with preventive measures,” the researchers say. The conclusion significantly expands the "prediabetes" label.

To back their claim, the researchers report that in the course of their study they discovered people at the high end of what's considered the "normal" blood sugar range are twice as likely to get the disease as are those in the low end. The findings are in line with an earlier study from Oregon, and the Italian researchers say they can help identify the people who need extra medical attention.

The researchers looked at data for nearly 14,000 men and women who'd had blood drawn several times at their clinic. The patients were between 40 and 69 years old and all of them had normal blood sugar levels at first. Over the next seven to eight years, on average, about two percent of the women and nearly three percent of the men developed diabetes.

Less than one percent of those who started out with fasting blood sugar levels between 51 and 82 mg/dl wound up with the disease, while more than three percent did so if they had values between 91 and 99. After controlling for other factors that might influence the likelihood of getting diabetes, that corresponded to a two-fold difference in risk of developing the disease.

Research has shown that if you have prediabetes, the long-term damage of diabetes — especially to your heart and circulatory system — may already be starting. If your blood sugar tests over 100 mg/dl fasting more than once, your fasting blood sugar is likely to go over the 125 mg/dl level used to diagnose full diabetes within 3 years.

More importantly, if your blood sugar is at 100 mg/dl fasting, it is very likely that your post-meal blood sugar is heading towards the diabetic range, which is over 200 mg/dl which is why your fasting blood sugar is deteriorating. High post-meal blood sugars kill beta cells. If you can bring down those post-meal highs, you may be able to prevent the beta cell death that is destroying your fasting control!

While opinion is divided on the question whether doctors should treat these people any different, as the researchers suggest, everyone agrees that people should strive to manage their weight and be physically active irrespective of what their blood sugar level is.

The bald reality is that, according to the American Diabetes Association, in the US alone there are three times as many prediabetics as people with diabetes (79:27 million). And It is estimated that there will be 418 million people worldwide with prediabetes by 2025.

How to Tell if You Have Prediabetes
The American Diabetes Association says while diabetes and prediabetes occur in people of all ages and races, some groups have a higher risk for developing the disease than others and warns that Diabetes is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, as well as the aged population. This means they are also at increased risk for developing prediabetes.

There are three different tests your doctor can use to determine whether you have prediabetes:

• The A1C test

• The fasting plasma glucose test (FPG)

• The oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT).

The blood glucose levels measured after these tests determine whether you have a normal metabolism, or whether you have prediabetes or diabetes.

If your blood glucose level is abnormal following the FPG, you have impaired fasting glucose (IFG); if your blood glucose level is abnormal following the OGTT, you have impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). Both are also known as prediabetes.

The American Diabetes Association Risk Test for Diabetes can help you determine if you are at increased risk for diabetes or prediabetes. A high score may indicate that you have prediabetes or at risk for prediabetes. Take the test and find out for sure.

ADA Prediabetes FAQs

What is prediabetes and how is it different from diabetes?
Prediabetes is the state that occurs when a person's blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. About 11 percent of people with prediabetes in the Diabetes Prevention Program standard or control group developed type 2 diabetes each year during the average 3 years of follow-up. Other studies show that many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes in 10 years.

What are the symptoms of prediabetes?
The reason why so many people suffer from prediabetes and are completely unaware of it is because it is quite possible for no symptoms to manifest themselves. Both diabetes and prediabetes develop at a gradual rate.

How do I know if I have prediabetes?
Doctors can use either the fasting plasma glucose test (FPG) or the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to detect prediabetes. Both require a person to fast overnight. In the FPG test, a person's blood glucose is measured first thing in the morning before eating. In the OGTT, a person's blood glucose is checked after fasting and again 2 hours after drinking a glucose-rich drink.

How do I stop prediabetes developing into Type 2 diabetes?
The good news may be that, if you have become aware of the disease early, your condition can still be cured. The two principle factors for consideration are the changing of diet and the addition of appropriate physical exercise to your lifestyle. By making these changes, it may be possible to return blood sugar levels to normal. Prediabetes is a serious medical condition that can be treated.

The recently completed Diabetes Prevention Program study conclusively showed that people with prediabetes can prevent the development of type 2 diabetes by making changes in their diet and increasing their level of physical activity. They may even be able to return their blood glucose levels to the normal range. But for a comprehensive and individual plan you should see your doctor.

Is prediabetes the same as Impaired Glucose Tolerance or Impaired Fasting Glucose?
Yes. Doctors sometimes refer to this state of elevated blood glucose levels as Impaired Glucose Tolerance or Impaired Fasting Glucose (IGT/IFG), depending on which test was used to detect it.

Why do we need to give it a new name? Has the condition changed?
The condition has not changed, but what we know about it has. We are giving IGT/IFG a new name for several reasons. prediabetes is a clearer way of explaining what it means to have higher than normal blood glucose levels. It means you are likely to develop diabetes and may already be experiencing the adverse health effects of this serious condition. People with prediabetes are at higher risk of cardiovascular disease. People with prediabetes have a 1.5-fold risk of cardiovascular disease compared to people with normal blood glucose. People with diabetes have a 2- to 4-fold increased risk of cardiovascular disease. We now know that people with prediabetes can delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes through lifestyle changes.

How does the FPG test define diabetes and prediabetes?
Normal fasting blood glucose is below 100 mg/dl. A person with prediabetes has a fasting blood glucose level between 100 and 125 mg/dl. If the blood glucose level rises to 126 mg/dl or above, a person has diabetes.

How does the OGTT define diabetes and prediabetes?
In the OGTT, a person's blood glucose is measured after a fast and 2 hours after drinking a glucose-rich beverage. Normal blood glucose is below 140 mg/dl 2 hours after the drink. In prediabetes, the 2-hour blood glucose is 140 to 199 mg/dl. If the 2-hour blood glucose rises to 200 mg/dl or above, a person has diabetes.

Which test is better?
According to the expert panel, either test is appropriate to identify prediabetes.

Why do I need to know if I have prediabetes?
If you have prediabetes, you can and should do something about it. Studies have shown that people with prediabetes can prevent or delay the development of type 2 diabetes by up to 58 percent through changes to their lifestyle that include modest weight loss and regular exercise. The expert panel recommends that people with prediabetes reduce their weight by 5-10 percent and participate in some type of modest physical activity for 30 minutes daily. For some people with prediabetes, intervening early can actually turn back the clock and return elevated blood glucose levels to the normal range.

What is the treatment for prediabetes?
Treatment consists of losing a modest amount of weight (5-10 percent of total body weight) through diet and moderate exercise, such as walking, 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Don't worry if you can't get to your ideal body weight. A loss of just 10 to 15 pounds can make a huge difference. If you have prediabetes, you are at a 50 percent increased risk for heart disease or stroke, so your doctor may wish to treat or counsel you about cardiovascular risk factors, such as tobacco use, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

Who should get tested for prediabetes?
If you are overweight and age 45 or older, you should be checked for prediabetes during your next routine medical office visit. If your weight is normal and you're over age 45, you should ask your doctor during a routine office visit if testing is appropriate. For adults younger than 45 and overweight, your doctor may recommend testing if you have any other risk factors for diabetes or prediabetes. These include high blood pressure, low HDL cholesterol and high triglycerides, a family history of diabetes, a history of gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds, or belonging to an ethnic or minority group at high risk for diabetes.

How often should I be tested?
If your blood glucose levels are in the normal range, it is reasonable to be checked every 3 years. If you have prediabetes, you should be checked for type 2 diabetes every 1-2 years after your diagnosis.

Could I have prediabetes and not know it?
Absolutely. People with prediabetes don't often have symptoms. In fact, millions of people have diabetes and don't know it because symptoms develop so gradually, people often don't recognize them. Some people have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of diabetes include unusual thirst, a frequent desire to urinate, blurred vision, or a feeling of being tired most of the time for no apparent reason.

Sources: American Diabetes Association, Diabetes Care, Diabetes UK

17 comments:

  1. These hypertrophied tissues can see results in as footling as 7 years!
    The peak region is so as to if you und denuded sind Sie dabei, die guten male enhancement-Ergebnisse zu erfahren, fr die Sie es
    schlecht so lange wollten.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog :: www.penisadvantage.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information!In my opinion, Keep a healthy life by consuming healthy food and doing exercise regularly is the best healthy formula.
    regards,
    Nurse and Medical Careers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the information on diagnosis & diabetes treatment. I really needed these information. Because one of my cousin was born with diabetic since her parents were diabetic patient. So we are looking for the best solution and treatment for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regards to everyone in this forum my name is Elijah and am here to share the good news to people on how (Dr. Kennedy) cured me from diabetes.
    For over 2 years i was on a special diet,my doctor prescribed so many drugs which i completed the dose but instead of me getting cure the sickness gone worse and worse until i read a comment on how Dr. Kennedy has been curing all kinds of disease and virus over the globe with his herbal medicine.
    the post was written by Susan Andrew and she was cured of HIV.so i immediately mail my problems to Dr.Kennedy and he posted his herbal medicine to me via DHL service and the medicine was brought to my door step as to the address i gave to Dr.Kennedy i drank the herbs for two weeks even before 1 week i started seeing result my self till i completed the dose and went for a test to my greatest surprise i was fully free and was no longer a diabetic patients which my doctor has already categorized me to be.all thanks to Dr.Kennedy for his miraculous work.my advice to you that is reading this post should kindly put a trial to herbal remedy(medication)cause its natural and has no side effect mail your complain to Dr.Kennedy now on his mail via dr.allalhyehomeofsolution@yahoo.com. thanks and good luck
    mail him now if you are ill of the following disease and virus
    !Herpes simplex Virus type 1 & 2
    !!Hepatitis B
    HIV/AIDS
    Cancer,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that I had type II diabetes. I was diagnosed at age 50, after complaining to my doctor about being very tired. There is no family history of this disease. I'm a male and at the time of diagnosis, I weighed about 215. (I'm 6'2")Within 6 months, I had gained 30 to 35 pounds, and apparently the diabetes medicines (Actos and Glimiperide) are known to cause weight gain. I wish my doctor had mentioned that, so I could have monitored my weight more closely. I was also taking metformin 1000 mg twice daily December 2017 our family doctor started me on Green House Herbal Clinic Diabetes Disease Herbal mixture, 5 weeks into treatment I improved dramatically. At the end of the full treatment course, the disease is totally under control. No case blurred vision, frequent urination, or weakness
    Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official website www. greenhouseherbalclinic .com. I am strong again and able to go about daily activities.‌ This is a breakthrough for all diabetes sufferers

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. Raul

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. diabetes blisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. GOD has certainly lead me here this hour because before sharing this I prayed he lead me to site where my testimony will become blessing to people lives. I found out 4years ago that I was infected with HIV because I was engaged to a man that i knew I should have never had in my life. Like most of us here the HOLY SPIRIT was warning me but I decided to do what I wanted . He never came out to tell me he had it I just happened to go through some old stuff he left at my house and there some antiviral meds appeared . I got checked and was diagnosed. It instantly felt like agony!!! The enemy tempt me with suicide,depression and all kinds of unhealthy emotion. I was looking for love in all the wrong places and people. The enemy kept speaking to me that my life was over.. But one day I quickly with tears in my eyes prayed to GOD for healing. And GOD showed me a vision that my cure is in nature I woke up prayed over it, gradually I started having passion for herbs then gradually I started using for treatment. One evening I think early February this year after my evening prayer I was on a site on herbal remedies for STD and a page was telling possible cure for herpes, then on peoples comments I saw testimonies of people telling how same DR yakubu have successfully cured them of herpes and he cured all manner of STD including HIV. I copied his contact.. .... That same night in my dream I was in the doctor office and the doctor telling me there’s been a mistake THAT I’M FREE FROM ANY DISEASE in my body. I woke up the next morning and prayed over it then contacted DR YAKUBU who immediately responded to me he talked to me and assured me of permanent cure if I finish taking certain quantity of his meds of which I ordered for immediately and started use. Within few weeks of use I noticed total relieved in my body system then went for a test and was confirmed negative and another test and the result was same. Glory be to GOD who cured me as he promised. God is real and he still saves humans through fellow humans. Reach DR YAKUBU through his e-mail;dryakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m Mark Russ , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that
    there’s no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV’s, My CD4 was 77
    and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. Imoloa also I saw a lot
    of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I
    contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and
    I took it for 7 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The
    medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there’s no special diet when taking the
    medicine. He also cure DIABETES, EX BACK, ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES
    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your
    office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after
    you.
    (5) If you want your own children
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to
    be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) How you been scammed and you
    (10) and if you ant your herpes cure back
    want to recover you lost money
    (11) CANCER,
    (12) DIABETES,
    (13) HIV&AIdS,
    (14) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (15) CANCER,
    (16) IMPOTENCE,
    (17) BARENESS/INFERTILIY
    (18) DIARRHEA
    (19) ASTHMA..
    Also contact him with the above.
    and lots more. You can reach him on drimoloaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or
    Whatsapp +2347081986098 all thanks to dr imoloa he is really a great man .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS.
    HERPES.
    SYPHILIS.
    HEPATITIS A B and C.


    ReplyDelete
  11. Am Latif, all thanks to Almighty Allah who used Dr Aziz to cure me of
    hepatitis B virus. I was deported from Dubai because of this sickness,
    I almost spent all I had, until I saw Dr Aziz recommendations and
    testimonies online, on how he has cured several people of chronic
    hepatitis B, and I decided to contact him, and he administered his
    herbal medication on me, and I became healed within a period of two
    months. In case you wants to contact him for a similar problem, or all
    other disease, you can reach him through +2347089275769/ whatsap +221705920450 or email:
    azizd787@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. Silver and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. Silver telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. Silver (drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com) sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address ( drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello to those reading this wonderful testimony i got this email from a school friend who i lost her contact (oyimeanelisiramen@gmail.com), we met in a shop-rite few months ago so we exchange number and reunite our friendship again and i open up to her that i was diagnosed with herpes virus as a best friend in school years back, so luckily her mum was also diagnosed and were able to put an end by flushing it out with the help of DR Isiramen herbal native medicine within 14 days and she sent me the email address of the DR Isiramen who help her mum, immediately without been ashamed i contacted him and explain how the herpes started and how it spread on my body each an everyday, DR Isiramen wrote back and told me not to worried that he is going to cure me if only i can follow his instructions wish i did for my virus to leave me. Thanks to my dear friend (Kate) i never new she we be the one God will use to deliver me from all this pain and temptation i was going through. my fellow Americans let love and cherish each other because you don't know who will be your helper tomorrow. my good saved me and today i am totally free from herpes virus i will advice you to reach DR Isiramen now so that you can get cure before this Christmas (oyimeanelisiramen@gmail.com) or WhatsApp +2{34}8117963221 thanks once again DR Isiramen God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you going through DIABETES DISEASE? Akanni herbal clinic is the solution to your problem and I am a testimony to his great work. my daughter suffered DIABETES INFECTION for a very long time until 1 months ago when I read about ORIANE recommendation online on how he cured someone who went through the same problem. I contacted him and he advice and guild me with all the necessary procedure,he prepare the medicine and sent me the medicine and after taking the medication for a month the DIABETES pains where gone and I became healed /cured, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I was free from DIABETES. You too can be free, reach him through: contact no WhatsApp number +2348089535482

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my early 19s I was diagnosed of HERPES VIRUS 2 and I was sadden by the situation and so I kept on searching for a way to rid the virus but all my effort was to no avail, I almost gave in to the no cure attitude but at that frustrated time, I stumbled on a post like this about a doctor who have cure for different STDs/STIs and his email was given so I decided to give him a try still on a broken heart but he assured me that my virus will be gone only if I key in to his instructions which I did diligently because I was tired of suffering, To my greatest amusement, I began to see no symptoms of the virus within two(2) weeks of using the herbal concoction that was given to me by this great man, After a month and two weeks of treatment I decided to go for check up and for God so kind, there was no trace of the virus as I was tested negative of the virus, I also went for virus STDs test and all came out negative, To me it was a miracle and so I choose to share his contact so that through him others suffering from similar problem will be free, here is his email: droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com, or WhatsApp number +2348108264684 also has the cure for HPV,CANCER,ASD HIV/AIDS Thanks for taking time to read to the end














    In my early 19s I was diagnosed of HERPES VIRUS 2 and I was sadden by the situation and so I kept on searching for a way to rid the virus but all my effort was to no avail, I almost gave in to the no cure attitude but at that frustrated time, I stumbled on a post like this about a doctor who have cure for different STDs/STIs and his email was given so I decided to give him a try still on a broken heart but he assured me that my virus will be gone only if I key in to his instructions which I did diligently because I was tired of suffering, To my greatest amusement, I began to see no symptoms of the virus within two(2) weeks of using the herbal concoction that was given to me by this great man, After a month and two weeks of treatment I decided to go for check up and for God so kind, there was no trace of the virus as I was tested negative of the virus, I also went for virus STDs test and all came out negative, To me it was a miracle and so I choose to share his contact so that through him others suffering from similar problem will be free, here is his email: droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com, or WhatsApp number +2348108264684 also has the cure for HPV,CANCER,ASD HIV/AIDS Thanks for taking time to read to the end

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good day to all am From USA..Texas am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Hpv,diabetes,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis,I contacted him based on the testimonies I saw on the internet, I was cured by him too, kindly contact him today through his email. He can help you. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life.

    ReplyDelete